Monday, November 14, 2011

Aerial Wildland Firefighting in South Africa



As some of you know, I did spend some time in Malawi (north of South Africa) over four years ago. I am not sure if spending time at the international airport in Johannesburg South Africa counts as being in South Africa. However, when I came across this video on you tube yesterday, I thought about my time in Africa. I am not sure, but I may have flown over Nelspruit, South Africa on the flight from Johannesburg to Lilongwe Malawi.

I'd like to thank my friend who helped me identify the aircraft that you will see in the video: working the fire in the video are two different types of SEATS, an Air Tractor 802 and a Dromader M18; along with a UH-1 helo. The spotter aircraft is probably a Cessna 206 Centurian.

Updated Dec. 2, 2011. Thanks to my anonymous friend for telling us that there are three SEATs in this video: 1 AT-802 Air Tractor(yellow/blue); 1 Thrush (yellow/black); and 1 M-18 Dromader (round engine, 4 blade prop). I believe that the helo you see is a UH-1 helo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are 3 SEAT types on the video,
1 AT-802 Air Tractor(yellow/blue)
1 Thrush ( yellow/black )
1 M-18 Dromader (round engine, 4 blade prop)

K. Tyler Miller said...

Anonymous, thank-you so much for your information about the SEATs. You will see that I have updated the blog article with your information. Tyler