Thursday, April 10, 2014

Enhanced fire danger in NJ continues for April 10

The National Weather Service in Mt. Holly, NJ issued a Special Weather Statement at 9:03 AM on Thursday, April 10 for an enhanced risk of wildfire spread this afternoon:
Low Relative humidity levels, a gusty southwest wind and drying fine fuels will create an elevated risk for the spread of wildfires this afternoon. Wind should be sustained in the 10 to 15 mph range with gusts to 20 mph.
Please do not park vehicles in grassy areas and ensure proper disposal of any smoking materials. It only takes one improperly disposed cigarette to ignite a fire. ...
Yesterday (Wed. April 9) we were also under a risk for enhanced fire danger. I did spend some time on and off yesterday afternoon listening to some online scanner feed for New Jersey Forest Fire Service Division B, hearing several reports of wildfire activity, probably activity that was of smaller acreage. I saw this because I saw no reports in the media, at least what I could find, of wildfire activity. I am reasonably certain that media would pick up on major wildfire activity (100 acres or more), but there may well be activity that I do not know about as well as media reports that I could not find.

I did hear a report, confirmed by my friends at Downstown Aero -- (supply Single Engine Airtankers on contract to the New Jersey Forest Fire Service) -- that Alpha 3 (Ag-Cat, 300 gallons) made one drop on a wildfire in or near Lake Hopatcong NJ (Division A). I do not know the size of the fire. My friends at Downstown Aero did tell me that there were no drops in Division C (southern New Jersey), but got the impression that there were smaller fires that the wildland firefighters on the ground worked.

I'd like to thank all New Jersey Wildland Firefighters on the ground and in the air, various support operations, and mutual aid responders for all you do to keep us safe here in New Jersey! Stay safe everyone!


No comments: