Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Ramona Air Attack Base (Ramona, CA)

Some of you may recall that I spent some time in and near San Diego in southern California over two years ago. And those who know me knew that I was itching to go and visit the closest CAL FIRE air attack base. So my friend and I spent a day, driving first to Ramona to visit CAL FIRE's air attack base at Ramona. For a sense of geography and to see where all the CAL FIRE air attack bases are located, the California Fire Pilots Association has a map with clickable links.

My friend and I had a great time, and the lady at the base was very nice to us, letting us in to look at one of the tankers and answering my questions, I wrote about this visit on July 13, 2012 (with photos).

Why am I writing about this today? Well, I came across a nice article about Ramona Air Attack Base from U-T San Diego written by J. Harry Jones on October 28th. I learned more about Ramona: base operations and aircraft, the new Chief John Francois who oversees all operations, base staff, and one of the S2-T pilots, Bob Forbes. I thought you'd enjoy the article. So I am sharing it here.

Enjoy! And stay safe out there.

No comments: