Monday, November 17, 2014

A short visit to Catfish Fire Tower

I expect that many of you know that the Appalachian Trail passes through New Jersey. There is a nice day hike that one can make that takes you by the Catfish Fire Tower. The Catfish Fire Tower (on the National Historic Lookout Register) is located on the Appalachian Trail not far from Blairstown NJ. The NY/NJ Trail Conference maintains many of the trails in this area and has a webpage that describes a loop hike using the Rattlesnake Swamp Train and the Appalachian Trail, taking you by the Catfish Fire Tower, the webpage has some photos.

I have hiked up to the Catfish Fire Tower, many years ago was the last time I did so. The views are extraordinary. A very pretty spot. And I can understand why the New Jersey Forest Fire Service has a fire tower here. I have not climbed the tower, but I know that you get a good 360 degree view of the surrounding countryside. Just what is needed for wildfire spotting. I have more recently flown over the Catfish Fire Tower on scenic flights that I have taken with pilot friends. It is a good visual reference point.

Here is a nice short video taken from the Catfish Fire by Ray Galli:


direct link to video on youtube



No comments: