Friday, November 07, 2014

Yellowstone after the 1988 Fires

Of late, I have been thinking about how areas burned in wildfire recover from the fire. In particular, I have been curious about how areas burned in some of the larger wildfires in the western U.S. have recovered. And I wanted photos! Believe it or not, I spent much of the day reading about post fire recovery. I wanted to find an area in the U.S. with a large fire some years ago where I might be able to see some photos of the recovery. I suppose my mind was a little slow today, and I had one of those , remembering the fires that burned Yellowstone in 1988. I just got off the phone with a nice lady from Yellowstone National Park Visitors Services who helped me navigate there website. She was wonderful! 

She directed me to their photo and multimedia page where they have a vast resource of photos and multimedia to look through, when

Lo and Behold, I found a collection of photos called Post Fire Succession 1988. It is only two pages, and I hope that you spend some time looking at each photo.

One of my winter projects is going to be poking around and researching post fire succession after the 1988 fires. I think that there is stuff out there on the web and elsewhere, I just have to find it. I've got some other projects coming up the next couple of weeks, so may not be able to spend time with Yellowstone for a couple of weeks. So stay tuned.

No comments: