Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Aerial Attack on a wildfire matters

July 16, 2015, 7:30 AM (edit)

Yesterday, I came across a video report on Facebook from NBC Nightly News on July 10th on the role that helicopters play in fighting wildfires. I liked this report enough to want to share it with you. So, I looked around and found the full report that NBC Nightly News broadcast on July 10, 2015. The complete report and footage bothered me because the video report included some footage of a C-130 crash in 2002 and last year's S2-T crash in Yosemite. I had a hard time with the crash footage as I thought it unnecessary and it distracted me from the portion of the footage focusing on the firefighting helicopters. I originally posted a different version of this article but I decided to rewrite this post to include only the great footage that I found on Facebook on the role that helicopters play in fighting wildfires

So here, is the footage that I found on the NBC Nightly News Facebook page (that should be publicly available) on this July 10th FB post. You will hear Captain Steve Concialdi of Orange County (CA) Fire talk about the role of helicopters, calling them "worth their weight in gold because they can get up quickly and be on a fire in minutes . . ." You will see some nice footage of helos dropping, including a scene from the cockpit at night.

I tried to use the embed code from Facebook, but sadly, could not get it to work.

Matt, this is for you.

No comments: