Pages on this Blog

▼

Friday, October 10, 2025

More on the NEW U.S. Wildland Fire Service

Direct link to October 8th video from Wildland Fire Fit on YouTube 


As you may recall I wrote about the NEW Wildland Fire Service in a post on September 16th where I refered to the September 15 press release from the U.S. Departments of Interior and Agriculture announcing the new U.S. Wildland Fire Service Plan. I am repeating the five priorities of the new plan below. There may be federal legislation that needs to be passed before this new service can take effect, I am not certain if any needed legislation has passed Congress. 

This new plan has five interdependent priorities:

• Address systemic inefficiencies and modernize aviation and coordination systems
            ◦ Create a joint federal firefighting aircraft service
    ◦ Consolidate predictive services into a national intelligence capability
• Strengthen interagency wildfire coordination and response
    ◦ Modernize and right-size qualifications and training
    ◦ Standardize the Emergency Firefighter Program
• Improve federal partnerships and reduce administrative burden
    ◦ Streamline cooperative agreements
    ◦ Establish a joint contracting, procurement and payment center
• Ensure wildfire research, technology, and IT investments are mission-ready
    ◦ Build a modern, cohesive Wildfire Enterprise IT System
    ◦ Modernize personal protective equipment standards to better safeguard firefighters
• Integrate pre- and post-fire activities into a complete wildfire strategy
    ◦ Deploy a unified wildfire risk mapping tool
    ◦ Establish a consistent Emergency Stabilization and Rehabilitation framework
    ◦ Expand beneficial use of biomass and residual forest products

I wanted to be able to share a little more about this new plan and I thank my friends at the B10 NJ Wildland Fire Page whereI found just what I was looking for yesterday when they shared the video I shared here.  The women in the video is knowledgeable about wildland firefighting. She discusses the new plan as well as some pros and cons. I think that her main audience in this and the other videos she posts are wildland firefighters and those interested in becoming wildland firefighters.I share this here because I am interested in what she shares about the new plan. As you know, I am not a wildland firefighter and have no opinions, pro or con, about this new plan. I will be interested in following how things unfold, pros and cons, after this new plan is implemented.


No comments:

Post a Comment