Monday, November 07, 2011

Oct 29 2011 snowstorm - nine days later

Nine days after the October snowstorm that brought down utility lines leading to power outages from Maryland to Maine, I can say that much progress has been made in my corner of NJ. In my travels around my county, I can say that roads that were closed last Friday due to downed trees and power lines are now open. I drove on one such road today and saw the repairs. New poles in place and it looked to me like the electric lines were in place. I'm no expert, but it looked to me like a couple of poles were downed in the storm of Oct. 29.

Similar repairs, albeit on a much smaller scale, were made a couple of miles down the street from me.

As I understand it, most of the power has been restored in NJ, with scattered outages remaining, see this News12NJ report . Connecticut is not quite as fortune. As I write this 64,000 are still without power, and power may not restored to those folk until this Wednesday (Nov. 9), see this report from WCBS for more info. To read about power restoration in Massachusetts, see this Boston Globe article. I don't know about the electric power situation in other states impacted by last Saturday's early snow storm in the northeast and mid atlantic.

No comments: