Monday, March 12, 2012

SEATs up close and (sort of) personal (1 of 2)

When I was at Downstown Airport last week, two Air Tractor 602s. After introducing myself to my host from Downstown and the NJ Forest Fire official who was leading the meeting, I  parked my coat on a chair and went over to introduce myself to the 602s.

What magnificent aircraft they are. I did not have to worry about hitting my head on the wing. I did this once with the Cessna trainer. I walked under the wing with the flaps extended . . .

I was impressed by the wing span, 56 feet according to the specs. Wow. As a comparison, the wing span of the Cessna Skyhawk 172P trainer that have been in on my scenic flights has a wing span of 36 feet. The engine of the 602 was over my head, I'm about 5'8" tall.

I wanted to linger more with each aircraft. I took the photos you see below with my cell phone. Not the greatest photos, but you get the idea. When the meeting started and I sat down, I looked ahead at our leader with the aircraft in the background. It was something special to spend a couple of hours in this hanger observing the NJFFS Aviation Safety Meeting under the watchful eye of these two splendid aircraft. It was as if they were saying, this is what we do, you are here because of me.

It was easy to close my eyes and see these splendid aircraft doing one of the things they do best, fighting fires for the NJFFS. But there are other things they do well like crop dusting.

I'll write a little about Downstown's Grumman AgCats in my next post, with some photos.



No comments: