Friday, July 13, 2012

CAL FIRE Ramona Air Attack Base up close and personal

The top item on my to do list while I was in the San Diego area a few weeks ago was to visit the Ramona Air Attack Base. I drove inland (east) for about an hour to get to Ramona, a very pleasant drive. The coast where I was staying was cloudy, but when I got to Ramona, the cloud deck had lifted and it was a beautiful southern CA day, sunny with temps about 70. I found the viewing area and sat for about 5 minutes looking at the field. The two S2-Ts and the OV-10 Air Attack were sitting on the ramp.

I wanted to get closer, and I heard from a few reliable sources that they will give visitors like me a tour if they are not busy. And the were not busy. So, I went to the main gate with my cell phone and dialed the number on the sign telling them who I was, asking if I could come in and take some photos for my blog. The base manager came out and let me in, a very nice woman. She was so kind and welcoming. She let me take all the photos I wanted. The result are the photos that I am sharing with you here.


Air Attack 330 (OV-10)

Air Attack 330 (OV-10)

Air Attack 330 (OV-10)

T-70 (Grumman S2-T)

T-70 (Grumman S2-T)


S2-T tanker belly -- retardant doors are closed

S2-T tanker retardant loading valve

T-71 (Grumman S2-T)

T-70 (Grumman S2-T)

One of the S2-T tankers at Ramona AAB

One of the S2-T tankers at Ramona AAB

T-71 (Grumman S2-T)

T-71 (Grumman S2-T)

No comments: