Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Martin Mars makes drop on Mt. Wilson


direct link to video

After eating dinner I decided to come in and watch some more live video streams out of southern California. I lucked out and saw the Martin "Hawaii" Mars circling over Mt. Wilson. What a magnificent airplane, literally two of a kind. After about five to ten minutes of watching the video, with some nice closeups of the Martin Mars, it came in for its dropping, dropping water (with foam) near the transmission towers.

Remember the capacity of the Martin Mars is 7,200 gallons and it has a 600 gallon foam tank. For more information on the Martin Mars, go here.

In the meantime I am watching streams of helitankers working the fires, loading and making drops.

update:8:10PM EDT
I would like to thank Huufs for pointing me to myfoxla video that I just embedded as well as the video from abc on youtube. Thank-you Huufs

updated on Sept 6, 2013
It seems that the myfoxla video may no longer be available, so I am, hopefully, including a video from youtube of the Martin Mars making a drop on Mt. Wilson

4 comments:

Ben said...

Here's the link to the youtube video via local ABC... not sure how you gather clips...

< http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKBfbomdHCM >

Ben said...

The update link to MyFoxLA is a clearer, shorter vid though.

Random Ramblings NJ said...

Huufs, thanks. I'll look around for the MyFoxLA video.

Random Ramblings NJ said...

Just found the video on myfoxla. It either wasn't there earlier or I missed it. It is always good to have another set of eyes!

Tyler