Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Upcoming: Temporary Flight Restrictions and Fire Traffic Areas

As I was watching some live news helo feed of the Station Fire on the internet in late August and early September I realized, with the help of some of my air tanker pilot friends, that there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes to keep air tankers and helicopters safe as they work wildland fires. In addition there are issues that are directly correlated with making effective retardant or water/foam drops: proper drop height and speed, retardant coverage levels, and the like. Finally, there are factors that come into to play to determine how much weight (including retardant and water) that an aircraft can safely carry. I thought that I'd spend some time writing about these issues, and others that I may not have thought of yet. I have written about some already: such as fire traffic areas, making effective retardant drops, and retardant coverage levels. I may have mentioned some only in passing, so to speak. All bear repeating and further elaboration.

I was going to start by writing about something known as fire traffic areas (FTAs) in the air space immediately above and surrounding wildland fires. Briefly,

"The FTA was developed by aerial firefighting personnel to provide a standardized initial attack airspace structure to enhance air traffic separation over wildfire (or all risk) incidents. ... The structure emphasizes established communications, received and understood clearances, and compliance with the clearances. The intent is that an aircraft will NOT enter the FTA until it receives a clearance. Interagency Airspace Coordination Guide (2003), Chapter 7, Airspace Deconfliction, pages 7-6 to 7-7)"

As I was thinking about writing about FTAs, I decided that I should start with writing about Notices to Airmen (NOTAMs) and Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFRs). I am going to write at least four articles on TFRs beginning in a day or two. Then I will write about FTAs. After I finish with TFRs and FTAs I will write about the other issues that I mentioned in the first paragraph.

In my first article on TFRs, I will talk about the different kinds of Notices to Airmen (NOTAM), of which a Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) is just one type of NOTAM. Stay tuned.

I found the above image, from the Florida Div. of Forestry, on the Interagency Airspace Coodination website, along with a couple of other airspace safety posters.


No comments: