Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Part 9 of 9: Cessna Annual 172P - Reflections

As I write this piece, it has been about four months since I sat in on the annual inspection of the Cessna 172P that I call Red. An inherently stable aircraft, she is also known as a trainer, used by student pilots learning how to fly. I have taken a few scenic flights in Red.

Something changed when I saw Red’s last annual inspection. I saw her up-close and personal, taken apart. I suppose you could say that I saw her naked. But it was more than that. I still remember the love and care that Brent and his apprentice John took with her annual. It is hard to explain what I experienced as I watched them work on “Red.”

Yes, I was assured of Red’s safety.

Yes, I know that Brent and John love what they do, and live out the aviation mechanic creed. I'd like to thank Brent for opening up his shop to me. It was great. I learned a lot from both Brent and John.

I hope that what I have written here along with the pictures give you some idea of what is involved in the annual inspection of the Cessna 172P and similar trainers. I am so glad the Brent opened up his shop, State Line Aviation, to me.

Red is an airplane, loved by many. But if it is possible to bond with an airplane, than I bonded with Red over the course of those three days.

No comments: