Friday, May 10, 2013

Learning about wildfires in Canada

I want to make a point of paying more attention to the wildfire situation in Canada. I am still learning my way around Canadian wildfire information websites, so please bear with me. I begin by looking for articles about wildfires in Canada, and I found some articles in today's Firebomber Publications, three articles concerning wildfires in New Brunswick, Canada:


And a fire in Alberta, Canada: Wildfire near Nordegg Alberta

A couple of week ago when I was poking around on the internet looking for wildfire information in Canada, I came across the Canadian Wildland Fire Information System website from Natural Resources Canada. You will see links for a few maps on the page you land on including fire weather, fire behavior maps, fire hotspots and an interactive map showing fire conditions. I was interested in the wildfire situation report, the one I saw was dated May 8 where 943 wildfires have burned 943 hectares or approximately 2,330 acres. This report was helpful to me as I found links to agencies in New Brunswick and Alberta. I found a link on the Alberta ERSD site reporting on the one hour evacuation notice for Nordegg Alberta.

I'll be posting more about wildfires in Canada as the season progresses and will continue to try to learn my way around various information available on the web. So stay tuned. In the meantime stay safe out there.

No comments: