Monday, April 16, 2007

Purpose of Malawi Trip

Because I have written about issues related to providing a clean and safe water supply to one remote village in southern Malawi, some of my friends think that my upcoming trip to Malawi is focused on the supply of water. While I was doing background research on Malawi last spring and summer, I quickly found out about the impact of HIV/AIDs on the people of Malawi. The group that I will be traveling with to Malawi in June will be looking at the impact of HIV/AIDS on the people of Malawi. Over the years, I have known more than a few very fine individuals who have died of HIV/AIDs, and I know many who have lived with HIV/AIDs for years thanks to the drug cocktails available. So, perhaps it is all these wonderful people that is but one of the many inspirations "calling" me to travel to Malawi.

From what I understand, we will be visiting various clinics, orphanages, and other groups that are helping the people in Malawi who are either living with HIV/AIDS or living with the effects of HIV/AIDS.

Even though most of my trip will involve looking at how the people of Malawi are coping with HIV/AIDS, I do hope that things will work out for me to visit Mindanti, the village I wrote about. Certain things have to come together for this happen that are outside of my control. All I can say is, this side–trip will either happen or it won’t. No matter what, I know that I am in for an adventure.

No comments: