Tuesday, May 29, 2007

13 pounds

While not exactly a frequent flier, I have flown a few times domestically over the last few years. So, I am somewhat familar with the carry-on baggage allowance for domestic flights.

I have this small knapsack that is designed for laptops with extra padding. I can put in my laptop and some other personal items, and it will fit under the seat of all but the smallest airplanes. And then I can have one other piece of luggage. I have a small suitcase on wheels or a small canvas duffle bag that just fits the dimensions for carry ons for most domestic air flights, Continental allows a total of 51 linear inches (length + height + depth). So, I can carry my laptop and a small suitcase. This is usually enough for most of the two or three days trips that I have been on. And I have never had to worry about weight. The 40 pound weight requirement for carry-on baggage has never been an issue.

I started out assuming, silly me, that it would be the same for my international flights. That I would be able to take my laptop and other electronic gear in my knapsack plus a small suiticase on the airplane in addition to my checked baggage. I would have enough clothes to last in case my checked baggage was detoured.

Not so, I start out on Virgin Atlantic. I am allowed one carry-on, 22" L x 14" W x 9"D that weighs 13.22 pounds (6 kilos). And it is weighed. When you consider that I am traveling with a laptop, that fortunately is very light weight for a laptop at around 5 pounds, that does not leave a lot of extra room for additional items. I figured out that I can carry my laptop and charger, the adaptor from Apple for the UK style plugs (that also work in Malawi), my digital camera, a small amount of extra (light weight and easy to dry) clothing, a book, and some personal effects. I can carry one electronic item on my person, and that will be my i-pod and my earphones. Although, I am going to play it safe and be sure that I can put the i-pod in the knapsack and be within the weight restrictions.

I know, I know, this is not very exciting. But that is the way my life has been the last few days as I get ready for my trip to Africa. I am so glad that I know about the weight restriction because otherwise I would have shown up at the airport with an over weight carry-on knapsack and I would have had to lighten the load. That would have been a pain, and I probably would lose my place in line to boot.

No comments: