Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Rest in Peace Tanker 42 and crew

I want to pause for a moment to reflect on those we lost on Saturday, April 25 in a crash near Stockton, Utah. Tanker 42, a P2V owned by Neptune Aviation and on route from Montana to New Mexico to help fight a wildfire. Three crew members died in the crash:

Crew
Tom Risk, 66, of Littleton, Colo., Pilot
Mike Flynn, 59, of Alamogordo, N. M., Co-pilot
Brian Buss, 32, of Alberton, Mont., crew cheif

Tanker 42
Lockheed P2V, owned by Neptune Aviation
tail number: 42
serial number: 150283
registration number: N442NA

A picture oftanker 42 may be found on Neptune Aviation's homepage. A video of tanker 42 in action on April 22, 2009 at the O"Brien Creek Fire in Montana may be found here. If you are so inclined, take a moment to read the comments.

Neptune Aviation has a tribute page for tanker 42 that may be found here.

I am saddened to be writing another memorial to a fallen air tanker and her crew. I did not know Tom, Mike and Brian nor did I know tanker 42. Yet, I feel like I knew you through my writing about air tankers. I cried for you as I cried for tanker 09, and I know that you are flying in favorable tail winds.

For my tanker pilot friends, stay safe out there.

My thoughts, prayers and reflections are with the family, friends, Neptune Aviation, Tanker pilots and crew, fire fighters and all those who love Tom, Mike, and Brian.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you...Knew one of the crew well. Glad to see someone taking note. They will be missed.

Random Ramblings NJ said...

Anonymous,

Thank-you for your post. I do care and my reflections, thoughts, and prayers continue . . .

Tyler