Friday, February 04, 2011

TBM Avengers revisited



Some of you may recall that I wrote a series of articles on the TBM Avenger last August, these articles may be found here (scroll to the bottom to see the first article in the series). Briefly, the TBM Avenger was used in World War II and then later as a fire bombing aircraft.

She is a magnificent aircraft. Thanks to a new friend, I recently came across this video of a restored Avenger. I love the sound of the radial engine!

I also want to remind everyone about a very nice webpage about the history of the TBM Avenger's service with Forest Protection Limited (New Brunswick, Canada). There are some great photos of the Avenger along with some history of her use in aerial fire fighting and budworm spraying, a listing of pilots who flew the Avenger, and other great information. You could spend hours on this site, go here to get started.

2 comments:

flyandsail said...

That fearless soul in the cockpit is Bob "Fanny" Forbes, who I believe has been flying airtabkers longer than anyone. He flys relief in an S2T at Ramona and Hemet now.

Bob was co-pilot for Don Orenbaum when I started in A HVFS Avenger in 1971. I believe he transitioned to TBMs in 1972.

Bob will be flying that Avenger at the Naval Aviation 100th Anniversary celebration at North Island, SAN, next week.

Walt Darran

Random Ramblings NJ said...

Thanks for the history Walt! Wish I could be at the Naval Aviation 100th anniversary celebration next week.

Tyler