Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Other wildfire aerial tactical operations



I have found myself thinking a lot about other wildfire aerial tactical operations recently. By these other operations, I am thinking about aerial tactical operations that may also be referred to as aerial supervision operations. In the video that I embedded here you are seeing one such type of aerial supervision, that of a lead plane leading in a tanker on a retardant drop. For the record, I am aware that the job of a lead plane pilot involves a lot more than what you are seeing in this video. I am hoping to write an article or two later this fall or early this winter devoted to lead planes.

There are also air tactical group supervisors (ATGS )who I believe manage the air space and air traffic over a fire.

In an Aerial Supervision Module, a crew of two is in an aircraft over the fire. The air tactical pilot who may also be a lead plane pilot flies the plane. The second person as an ATGS.

The Aerial Supervision Guide (NWCG) goes into a lot of detail about lead planes, ATGS, ASMs, and other air tactical operations.

CAL FIRE uses OV-10A's for their air tactical operations to supervise aircraft on wildfires working with the incident commander on the ground. The OV-10's have a crew of two, the pilot and a supervisor. As I understand it, the crew does not lead the tankers into a drop, but they do tell the CAL FIRE tankers and helps where to make their retardant drops.

The Canadians call their two-person air tactical planes birddogs. Some states use observation aircraft. There is a nice, short description of Conair's (Abbostford, BC) here., along with some nice photos of the Conair's fleet of A-26 tankers now retired from service).

All these operations deserve much more time than I can devote at this time. As I said earlier, I hope to write more about lead planes in a few weeks. At that time, I also hope to write about Aerial Supervision Modules, Birddogs, CAL FIRE's air tactical operations, and other operations that I have not listed here (including helo supervision) Until I do, please remember that there are often aerial tactical operations in place over a wildfire.

I am reminded of a phrase that I have used here before, something that Larry Kraus pilot of Bulter's T-62 told me when we were corresponding about T-62:

"see I told you that the tanker business is complicated"

So I'll add, the business of air tactical operations over wildfires are complicated.

To all who are crew of tactical aircraft working wildfires, I know that you are there. Thank-you.

No comments: