Monday, June 27, 2016

About Red Flag Warnings & other Fire Weather products from NWS WFOs -- Intro (part 1 of 5)

This past spring I got interested in learning a little more about the different fire weather products issued by the National Weather Service (NWS). Now, I had known of Red Flag Warnings issued by local NWS Weather Forecast Offices (NWS WFO) for quite some time. Sometime later, I had an awareness that the Storm Prediction Center was involved in fire weather. So, in early April, I started out by learning more about the Storm Prediction Center’s Fire Weather Outlooks, in a three part series that I wrote starting on April 1st (with links to other articles in the series),  

Even as I was finishing up my series on the SPC’s Fire Weather Outlooks, I knew that fire weather, like weather in general is complicated. I knew that I had to learn more, so I  took some time to do some background research on the internet, some additional reading, and some discussions with some wonderful Meteorologists from around the country as well as from my local NWS Weather Forecast Office.  The result is this series.

The more I learned, the more I respected the complexity of Fire Weather Forecasting and my respect for the NWS Meteorologists increased. 

Here is a schedule of the articles in this series (About Red Flag Warnings & other Fire Weather products from NWS WFOs):






No comments: