Wednesday, January 09, 2019

About NWS Warnings with attention to fire weather

Some of you may have notice that in the last day I have a new page on this blog, NWS Advisories, Watches & Warnings, where I have posted a long article that I wrote called National Weather Service Advisories, Watches, & Warnings with a Focus on Fire Weather.

Late last summer I got in a conversation with a couple of friends of mine about the difference between Fire Weather Watches and Red Flag Warnings issued by local National Weather Service (NWS) Weather Forecast Offices (WFO). I wanted to give them some good information so with the help of a couple friends from a couple of NWS WFO including my very own NWS Mt Holly WFO, I made some notes about Fire Weather Watches and Red Flag Warnings. To make a long story short, I did more reading on NWS websites. As I read more, I realized that I wanted to expand my notes into a longer article with the intention of providing information for the general public about various NWS advisories, watches and warnings focusing on fire weather.

The result is an article that is a little over six pages on my word processor. I was helped along the way by several NWS meteorologists from NWS WFOs around the country, including the Mt. Holly (Philadelphia) WFO. In addition, I was helped by a retired NWS meteorologist. They answered my questions, and provided new insights and where there when I wanted to know if my thinking was correct.

I hope that some of you find this article useful. It is my hope that this article will apply to those of you in rural as well as suburban and urban areas. Further while there is a special focus on fire weather; some of the advisories, watches and warnings I write about apply in situations where there are no current or recent wildland fires. There are numerous NWS links in the article that you can refer to for further information.

You will note that I refer to this article near the top right hand side of my blog for ease of reference. 

No comments: