Monday, March 14, 2022

About prescribed burns in New Jersey


Direct link to video from the NJ Department of Environmental Protection


I do try to use this blog to highlight what the New Jersey Forest Fire Service (NJFFS) does to keep us safe from wildfires. One of the things that the does to keep us safe in late winter and early spring is conducting prescribed burns. In recent weeks I have been posting about when and where the NJFFS has conducted prescribed burns, see for example my March 4th post.

As I was preparing for today's post,  I reread this February 9th news release from the NJ Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) on the NJFFS 2022 prescribed burn season. I must have given this news release a more careful read than I did a few weeks ago, as I noted a couple of links to YouTube videos about prescribed burns, one of which tI shared above on how the NJFFS uses and constructs plow lines in southern NJ in preparation for conducting prescribed burns. I found this insightful and I hope you do as well. I never stop learning.

When I came across the following Facebook post shared by the NJFFS A7-8 Association on Facebook earlier this morning, I knew that I had to share it with you. The video was posted by the NJ Department of Environmental Protection who was on scene earlier this month during a prescribed burn at the Bass River State Forest in the NJ Pine Barrens. In this video you will hear from the Shawn LaTourette, the Commissioner of the NJ DEP, Greg McLaughlin, Fire Warden and NJFFS Chief, and Dave Golden, Assistant Commissioner for Fish and Wildlife talk about how and why the NJFFS conducts prescribed burns in New Jersey.



No comments: