Friday, August 14, 2009

Evergreen 747 tanker: free demo drops

I saw a report on the Associated Airtanker Pilots message board last month (from a Spanish newspaper article translated into English) that Evergreen's 747 supertanker, currently under a call when needed contract (CWN) in California traveled to Spain last month to make a demonstration drop on Poyatos fire that was burning in a mountainous area of Spain. The 747 super tanker then traveled to Alaska where she made a second free demonstration drop on the Railbelt Fire.

Bill Gabbert of Wildfire Today reported on the 747 supertanker's drops on the Railbelt fire here.

Updated on August 3, 2015: According to Bill Gabbert's May 2nd (2014) article on Fire Aviation it seems that Evergreen has declared bankruptcy. Assoicated Airtanker Pilots is now called Associated Aerial Firefighters, the message board that I had linked to in this article is no longer available.


2 comments:

carlos said...

Hi

I was on the fire in Spain where the 747 made the demostration drop.
I was flying a SEAT at-802 on that same fire. I didn't saw the actual drop, but the forestry service technician later told me that it was no good. Only light rain reached the ground.
It was a hard day tough, with very strong winds.

Random Ramblings NJ said...

Carlos,

I want to thank-you for sharing with us from Spain. I had heard from some media reports that the Evergreen demo drop in Spain was no good, but was reluctant to say anything. However, your information confirmed these media reports. I am interested in what you said about the very strong winds on that day.

Stay safe!
Tyler