Sunday, August 30, 2009

Station Fire 5:15 PM EDT


I am watching live video feed from the CBS affliate in LA CBS2/KCAL9. I have been watching this stream for about 45 minutes and have seen a couple of helos and a couple of CAL Fire Tankers working the fire. And some pretty impressive flames. The image is from the webcam on the Wilson Observatory.

A friend who used to fly tankers in southern California told me in an e-mail this afternoon:
This ones going to burn like hell for a few more days. I've had the opportunity to fly this area in years past. You can't put groundpounders in most of those areas due to the terrain. Most canyons are at 45 degrees or steeper. This fire will be an airshow for the most part. Current wind direction is only allowing aircraft to be used on the North and Northwestern side of the fire. Heavy smoke is obscuring the other flanks of the fire. Never fly where you can't see. This includes the helo's as well.

The streaming from this site can be sporadic. So, if you go to the above link and don't get anything, try back later. That is what I did, and I finally got a stream. Remember the news helo has to refuel, change crews, and the like.

No comments: