Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Visit to Downstown: introduction

For about three weeks, from late March into mid April, I had been trying to arrange for a flight to Downstown Airport in Vineland NJ , home of Downstown Aero Services. The idea was that it was going to be another one of my scenic flights. I had it all worked out, pilot (someone who has taken me on many scenic flights), plane, and a possible route to Downstown. I had built in  some ground time so that we could see the SEAT operations during the spring fire season. Everything worked out except the weather and some known scheduling difficulties. The flight kept getting pushed back and the end of spring fire season seemed to be getting closer and closer.

Last Wednesday, my friends at Downstown were very generous in sending one of their Cessna 182s to fly me to Downstown and back to my home airport. The flight was a tad bumpy but the pilot and I had a great time. I got to see south Jersey from the air, always a thrill. Downstown Airport has turf runways, and this was my first time experiencing landing and taking off from a turf runway. I'll share a little more on the return flight in later posts.

 When I got to the airport, I was met by the SEAT operations manager. I took some photos, including the photos that you see below. I enjoyed seeing Charlie 1, the Air Tractor 602 that is on contract to the NJ Forest Fire Service through May 9. I'll be sharing more photos of her in later posts. It was nice to see Charlie 1 outside her new hanger where we first met almost two months ago (here).

I met the Ag Cats up close and personal including one that was being rebuilt, and meeting Alpha 2 who had gone off contract a few days before. At lunch I met other personnel at Downstown including Charlie 1's pilot (and chief pilot at Downstown), the dispatcher, and the loader. Another manager from Downstown was there as well. After lunch, I was shown more shops. Then the flight home. I will be writing more about my time at Downstown in coming articles using some of the photos that I took on my visit. I am still working on the number, timing, and content of these articles as I write this.

So stay tuned.

Downstown AT-602 - Charlie 1

Downstown AT-602 - Charlie 1 - cockpit

Downstown AT-602 - Charlie 1

Downstown AT-602 - Charlie 1

Downstown AT-602 - Charlie 1

No comments: