Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Bernardo Fire (San Diego County, CA)

While much of my focus in recent weeks has been focusing on New Jersey's spring wildfire season, I do pay attention to wildfire activity in other parts of the country. The wildfire known as the Bernardo Fire (San Diego County, CA) caught my eye in part because I know that there are Red Flag Warnings are in place through late Thursday (May 15) for portions of Southern California that include San Diego County (see Bill Gabbert's May 13th article for more information. But also I have family and friends in southern California so I am especially mindful of wildfires that are burning in San Diego County and environs.

So for any of my family and friends in southern California who are reading this, know that I am always thinking of you when wildfires are burning and I am thankful that you are safe.

The latest update from CAL FIRE (9:15 AM PDT on 5/14) states that the fire has burned 1,548 acres and is 25 percent contained. Evacuations that were in place have been lifted. Bill Gabbert of Wildfire Today has done his usual good job of reporting, have a nice article with photos and a video that he posted on May 13th (with updates).

I found a nice short photo gallery (with some nice shots of helos) from this fire on the Washington Post.

No comments: