Thursday, August 13, 2015

Reflections on wildfires in western US

While I was writing about unmanned aircraft systems yesterday, I want to assure my readers that I am aware of the large number of wildfires and burning in the very dry western portions of the USA, e.g the Soda fire that has burned 200,000 acres in Idaho and Washington (latest inciweb, Wildfire Today on Soda Fire), and here is an August 12th report from Daniel Berlant, Chief of Public Information for CAL FIRE on the fires burning in California.

Just this morning I heard a report on the extreme fire danger and the large number of wildfires out west on National Public Radio, unfortunately I was not able to locate the report for you. Fortunately, Bill Gabbert of Wildfire Today wrote an article (August 12th): "National wildfire preparedness level raised to highest level in two years" covering some of the same points that I heard on National Public Radio this morning.

For all of you who are fighting these fires on the ground and in the air, as well as all of you who are working in various positions supporting the firefighters, stay safe. Thank-you for all you are doing.

No comments: