Saturday, March 29, 2008

Here today, gone tomorrow

I looked for the small blue “glory-in-the-snow” flowers yesterday morning after breakfast. I could not find them anywhere in my garden. At first, I thought that being up and out of the house before having my daily dose of java was affecting my eyesight. I looked around again, more carefully this time. I finally found the chewed off stalks. Someone had dined on them the night before. Perhaps the small group of Deer I saw running across the street about 9 PM Thursday night as I was pulling into my driveway had a snack? Or the also abundant rabbits having an early spring meal?

As I write this, the thoughts going through my head is to appreciate the small things when we see them. Thursday, I rejoiced in seeing the small beautiful blue flowers of the “glory-in-the-snow” flowers. They were not there on Wednesday and they were gone tomorrow. If I had not been paying attention on Thursday, I would have missed them altogether. The flowers are gone, but the bulbs are still there and will bloom again next spring. The beauty of their early spring blooms lives on through my writing and in my memory.

Here today, gone tomorrow.

No comments: