Tuesday, March 25, 2008

signs of spring

At 1:48 AM EDT, the sun crossed the celestial equator. This is the vernal equinox or the start of the spring season here in the northern hemisphere. I always enjoy early spring as new plant growth is getting ready to burst forth. The daffodils started to peak above the soil a couple of weeks ago and are now a anywheres from three to six inches high. The buds have not opened yet, it is still a might cold for that. Perhaps in a couple of weeks, less or more depending on the temperatures, I will see the first flowering daffodils.

Another sign of spring is seeing some deciduous trees just beginning to leaf out. I noticed the very, very tiny leaves on a maple tree in my yard this morning as I was cleaning up detritus in the form of twigs and larger branches that came down in rain and wind storms in early March. I took a break from gathering these sticks to look at up at the maple and saw tiny reddish leaf buds.

My task this morning is another rite of early spring here in the land of manicured lawns: spring clean-up, picking up branches before the lawn mowing season starts.

During these times of economic unrest and global warming, I take comfort in the signs of new life that emerge every spring. The new life emerging every spring is an extraordinary event. I pray that in my small way that I may be a better steward of my planet for future generations.

No comments: