Thursday, October 01, 2009

Intro to airspace

A couple of months ago, I went out and purchased aeronautical charts from one of my local general aviation airports and have been spending time learning how to read these charts. I have been aided by my air tanker pilot friends along with some resources on the internet that I was referred to. While it is getting easier for me to read charts and have a very basic understanding of the complexities of air space, I am not exactly in a position where I feel comfortable trying to write this up for you.

Rather, there are a few of documents that I will refer you to. If you can only read one, read the first one on the list, Airspace for Everyone.

1. Airspace for Everyone. This brochure is from the the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association's Air Safety Foundation. It is written for pilots and might be a little technical for some, but it contains good information with pictures and it isn't too long. There is a good section on NOTAMs and temporary flight restrictions towards the end of the document.

2. VFR aeronautical chart introduction. This document is a short introduction to aeronautical charts, I have used this in combination with the next item on the list as I have learned to read aeronautical charts.

3. Airspace flash cards. This is another document from the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association's Air Safety Foundation. This was link was sent to me by one of my airtanker pilot friends and I use it all the time. I sit down with my aeronautical charts and these flashcards and the charts begin to make a little more sense.


No comments: