Friday, April 15, 2011

RIP Dave Kelly Sr. (1927-2011)

I want to take this opportunity to express my condolences to the family, friends, colleagues of Dave Kelly, Sr. (1927-2011) -- air tanker pilot -- who passed away on April 4 after an illness. I did not have the pleasure of knowing Dave. However, over the last two plus years that I have been writing about aerial wildland firefighting, I ran into his name in my wonderings on the internet.

What I learned was that he was a veteran tanker pilot well respected by his fellow tanker pilots. Dave was great friend and mentor to many inside and outside the tanker business who will miss him. He soloed at the age of eighteen, obtaining first his private pilots certificate and later his commercial rating. He was also a flight instructor and an aviation mechanic. Before he started flying air tankers in 1967 he worked as a crop duster for many years. He grew to be an old pilot before passing on at the age of 83. Take a couple of moments to read Dave's obit here.

I am sorry that I did not know Dave, the loss is mine.

Dave, I know that you are flying in favorable tailwinds with all of your old buddies.

No comments: