Monday, July 11, 2011

CAL FIre budget cuts

I'm a little late with this, but late last week Bill Gabbert of Wildfire Today wrote here about budget cuts by CAL FIRE. You will want to read the entire article yourself, but to summarize he reports on reduction in seasonal firefighters, decrease engine crews from four person to three persons, and the cancellation of the contract for the DC-10 airtanker.

I am always saddened to read of any cuts involving the loss the jobs.

But while I understand that the DC-10 tanker is not used for initial attack. Rather it is used for extended attack and I believe that the operator (10 Tanker Corp) require some lead time to get the DC-10 ready (24 hours), I am still saddened. I understand from Bill's article that the two DC-10s will be on a call when needed (CWN) contract with CAL FIRE but at a higher costs if the DC-10 is called up by CAL FIRE.

I hope that this is not a foreshadowing of more bad news to come in California.

No comments: