Friday, January 13, 2012

Spending time with Weather

I don't need to tell anyone reading this blog how important weather is to aviation interests. Whether they be fixed-wing or rotor-wing aerial firefighting and support operations, general aviation interests, commercial, etc. etc. I spent a lot of time with weather when I was in ground school two years ago preparing for the FAA private pilot written exam (which I passed).

Over the last couple of weeks, I have decided that I want to spend more time learning about weather as applies to aviation. But also about weather in general. To that end, I have spent some time reviewing things like the different types of clouds and how to identify them, air masses, weather fronts, etc. I'm spending more time with aviation weather charts along with looking up at the sky to (try) identify the clouds.

I'm not quite sure where I am going to this in my blog at this point. I'm still figuring that part out.

In the meantime, here in northern NJ a cold front passed through early today, its passage was marked by snow squalls. The winds kicked up a couple of hours before the cold front arrived, and we were under a wind advisory all day, due to end at 6PM. Winds were sustained at about 20 mph with gusts in the range of 35 to 45 mph. Winds will die down over night. Or so they say.

No comments: