Monday, March 11, 2013

Douglas A-26 Invader: firebombing tankers

The Douglas A-26 Invader saw long service as a tanker flying wildfires in the U.S. and Canada. I'm not yet ready to write about her service as I am currently doing some more research on her service as a tanker. It is possible that I'll write more article on the A-26 as a tanker before taking a time out to finish my research and write a follow-up series focusing on her service as a tanker.

In the meantime, I had originally shared a nice video of what I believe are a group of A-26 tankers from Air Spray in Canada. I'm not quite sure of the date, but I believe that this falls into the classification of historical tankers as I believe that it is been several years since the A-26 retired from service as a tanker in Canada. To the best of my knowledge, Douglas A-26 Invaders have not been used as a tanker in the U.S. since the late 70s or early 80s. More on these details in a later post.

The video is a little over 14 minutes long. I believe, but am not certain that the Arnie Schreder that you hear on the radio communications in the video is the same Arnie Schreder who was the Chief Pilot for Buffalo Air (Ice Pilots NWT); Arnie of Buffalo Air died in May of 2012 (go here to see an article).

Added on October 16, 2016: Unfortunately the video that I originally shared here is no longer available, so I have removed the link.

No comments: