Friday, March 29, 2013

NJFFS Division A Wildland Fire Fatality

It is with profound sadness that I write today about the death of New Jersey Forest Fire Service (NJFFS) Firefighter Jeffrey Scheuerer On March 28, 2013. Jeffrey, a wildland firefighter with Division A of the NJFFS died after being struck and killed by an automobile while doing a prescribed burn at the Round Valley Reservoir in Clinton Township, Hunterdon County New Jersey. Jeffrey was also a member of the Readington Volunteer Fire Department.

The winds shifted resulting in heavy smoke near the road that may have contributed to the accident.

I live in Division A and am quite familiar with Round Valley Reservoir and the area surrounding the reservoir. Like many other places in New Jersey, that area had seen a lot of fallen trees as a result of Super Storm Sandy or the June 29 Derecho. Jeffrey died trying to keep the Clinton Township residents safe. Jeffrey, you won't be forgotten. My thoughts and prayers are with Jeffrey's family and friends, the New Jersey State Forest Fire Service, and the Readington Volunteer Fire Department.

Story from the Hunterdon Democrat

Story from CBS2 in New York

Wildfire Today story

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. Jeff was one of my best buds. He looooooved his fire and rescue!!!!!he had a passion!!! He will be my hero for sure. I love my Jeff. Thanks again stacey

Random Ramblings NJ said...

Stacey,

You are welcome. Please accept my condolences on the loss of Jeff, one of your best buds.