Monday, June 16, 2014

Aviation Weather Forecasts: Revisiting METAR/TAF coding

Over two years ago I wrote a couple of articles on the coding used in certain aviation weather forecast products -- METARS and TAFs. My intention being to share a little about what I had learned about the aviation weather products that I sometimes use. Some of you know that I am not a pilot, so I engage pilots to take me on scenic flights. Nonetheless, I do want to take a look at weather forecasts and current weather conditions before going on scenic flights. It is sort of fun for me.

As I hope that I wrote about in those articles, the coding used in METARS and TAFs is not intuitive and takes some getting used to. Student pilots studying to be private pilots have to learn the coding used in these two aviation weather products along with other aviation weather products as a part of their preparation to take the required FAA exams before obtaining their private pilot's license.

What I failed to consider when writing the two articles that I am referring to in this article is whyTAFs and METARs are coded in the first place. Someone asked me this very question (which I have rewritten here) a few days ago:
Why are the TAFs and METARs coded in the first place?
I have spent several hours over the last few days trying to find an answer to this very good question. So far, I have some ideas, but I have been unsuccessful.  I have real answer to why the TAFs and METARs are coded in the first place nor do I know for certain the origins of this coding. I am going to keep looking for an answer.

June 27, 2014: I posted a response to the question of why TAF and METAR weather products are coded in an article that I posted on June 27, 2014 called "Why are METARs and TAFs coded?".

No comments: