Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Images of the Blizzard that hit southern New England and Long Island

The recent snow storm of Jan 26-7 left me with about 3.5 inches, not complaining. But some of the slop froze on the side of my driveway so I had to work to get it off. Thanks to the sun and some calcium chloride got rid of the last of the snow a couple of hours ago. In time for perhaps more snow later this weekend. Anyway, I did spend about 3 hours working on chipping ice off my driveway so I'm a little tired.

But I do sometimes post about weather events and I thought that some of you might be interested in a couple of satellite images of the storm. These two images are both taken from the Suomi NPP Satellite (National Polar-orbiting Partnership). Pretty cool images, don't you think?

from 
from Suomi NPP, extent of snowfall from 1/26-7 blizzard, taken 1/28/15 @ 1:50 PM


 from
NOAA Satellite Twitter Feed
Suomi NPP captures Blizzard near peak intensity, 1/27/15 @ 1:45 AM EST

Finally,  a short video of the cloud cover from the Blizzard. The video shows some color images captured by Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite (GOES) East and West. The images were taken from January 25th to 27th.



direct link to video from NOAA Satellites


No comments: