Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Flooding in Malawi

Some of you may or may not know that in June 2007 I spent two weeks in Malawi. It was only yesterday that I learned of the recent floods that have devastated southern Malawi. I wrote about my trip to Malawi here in this blog starting on June 14, 2007. Among the districts flooded in Malawi (see this map from Relief Web) are three districts where I spent at least night: Salima (Stayed in Carolina's Beach Resort in Salima), Blantyre, and Zomba. At least 173 are dead. I've seen reports of 20,000 to as much as 70,000 people being displaced or cutoff due to the flooding.

It feels only appropriate that I take a time out from my usual postings and write a post or two about the flooding in Malawi.

For more information on the flooding in Malawi

CNN report on Malawi
Reliefweb on Malawi (1/14/15 report)
Gift of the Givers 1/17/15 FB post on Malawi Flooding



direct link to video from AFP News Agency

Updated on May 2, 2016 to remove dead links.

No comments: