Monday, February 27, 2017

New Jersey: prescribed burns and weekend brush fire (2/27)

As I was out and about around mid-day Saturday (February 25th), I was listening to the radio and happened to hear a traffic report saying that Route 35 in the Keyport area of Monmouth County was closed due to a brush fire. The report was all of about 30 seconds, but got my attention because of the brush fire. Later that afternoon, I was again listening to the radio and heard a report that Route 35 was open. Now I don't exactly know where the brush fire was, but I am sharing an image from Google Earth of the Keyport area, zooming out to show the Garden State Parkway.



According to a report I saw on the B10 NJ Wildland Fire Page, the 13-acre brush fire was in a marshy area of Keyport in Monmouth County (NJFFS Section B10) adjoining Route 35 was contained about 5 PM. Structures were threatened at one point, and to the best of my knowledge there was no damage to structures. I found this brief report from the Asbury Park Press.

I just checked the The New Jersey Forest Fire Service (NJFFS) Facebook Page and see that the NJFFS is conducting prescribed burns today (February 27th) in the following locations:

Burlington County
Rancocas State Park, Westampton Twp;
Brendon Byrne State Park, Woodland Twp.
Camden County

Wharton State Forest, Waterford Twp.
Monmouth County

Monmouth County Park, Upper Freehold Twp.

Pleasant Run WMA, Upper Freehold Twp.
Ocean County
Stafford Forge WMA, Little Egg Harbor

Manchester WMA, Manchester Twp 

Greenwood WMA Lacey Twp 
Manchester WMA, Manchester Twp

Crossley Preserve, Manchester Twp.

No comments: