Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Pre-operational images from GOES-16 Geostationary Lightning Mapper

On June 12th, 2017 I posted an article where I shared some videos and other information from NOAA about the Geostationary Lightning Mapper (GLM) on GOES-16. If you are arriving here first, I hope that you go back and read the article.

Before I share some pre-operational images from the GOES-16 Geostationary Lightning Mapper, I want to share a little more information about the Geostationary Lightning Mapper.  After I posted the article on June 12th, I had a chance to have an e-mail exchange with Al Cope, Science and Operations Officer of the National Weather Service Weather Forecast Office at Mt. Holly, NJ. I asked Al to share one thing that he would like you to know about the Geostationary Lightning Mapper on GOES-16. This is his response:
I would say that the Geostationary Lightning Mapper, together with ground-based lightning detection systems, will enable us to more closely monitor rapid changes in lightning activity within a thunderstorm. Rapid increases in lightning are often precursors of damaging thunderstorm winds and large hail.
NOAA Satellites released the first imagery from the GOES-16 GLM on March 6th. There is a nice press release with some information and a video that you may find here.

The information that I am sharing below are from NOAA Satellites and Information Service's Facebook Page. I believe that both of these videos of pre-operational imagery from the GOES-16 GLM may be found on NOAA Satellite's You Tube Pre-Operational GOES-16 Channel. However, I found their Facebook posts to be very illuminating, so I am embedding two of their posts below.







No comments: