Thursday, May 23, 2019

Reflections on wildland firefighting sacrificing family time from a non-firefighter

I took a day off from my usual posting schedule yesterday to enjoy some family time. I found myself reflecting on the fact that normally when I am planning family time, as I did yesterday, I often have something prepared ahead of time to post. Obviously, that did not happen yesterday. I thought about our wonderful wildland firefighters in the air and on the ground. They often work through holidays, and their own family's special days so that we may be safe. That means they sometimes miss out on holiday time, birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, and the like.

I enjoyed my family day yesterday. While there was no particular wildfire danger that I knew of in my neck of the woods yesterday, I know that wildland firefighters of the NJ Forest Fire Service were ready to respond if the call came. And the NJFFS wildland firefighters and those in your State, Province, or Country will be ready to respond to a wildland fire to keep you safe, even if it means forgoing some family time.

We have a holiday coming up here in the United States as we celebrate Memorial Day this Monday, May 27th. I hope that all who are traveling this weekend safe travels.

No comments: