Friday, November 01, 2019

2019 wildfire season: California update (November 1st)

I continue to follow what has been a very active several days for wildfires in southern California. I noted yesterday that there were a number of wildfire starts the last two days. Fortunately, Bill Gabbert  of Wildfire Today has done his usual great job of reporting, he wrote a nice article yesterday reporting on new wildfire starts in southern California. You will want to take a few moments to read Bill's article. Of the fires that he wrote about, I had noted the Easy Fire and say some live stream footage of this fire the other day from one of the news stations in southern California. The Easy Fire burned in Simi Valley near the Ronald Reagan Library, as I write this the fire has burned 1,860 acres and is at 80 percent containment, evacuations were in place and are now lifted. Another fire that I heard about through perusing southern California media is the Hill Fire that burned 628 acres and is also at 90 percent containment.

I learned last night that the National Weather Service Los Angeles Oxnard Weather Forecast Office extended Red Flag Warnings in portions of their forecast area through 6PM PDT this evening.

Obtained on November 1, 2019 from https://www.weather.gov/lox/


So I was not terribly surprised to wake up and hear that there was a new wildfire start last night in Ventura County, the Maria Fire. As I write this, the Maria Fire has burned 8,730 acres with no containment. Evacuations are in place. Bill Gabbert reported on the Maria Fire in an article he wrote this morning, November 1st, go here to read Bill's article.

I do know that air tankers and helicopters have been working these wildfires and the other wildfires that burned earlier in northern and southern California. I will try to look around for some videos to share with you and will update this article if I find any.

No comments: