Monday, November 18, 2019

2019 wildfire season: New Jersey Forest Fire Service crews deployed to Virginia

Yesterday, one of my friends told me that the New Jersey Forest Fire Service (NJFFS) was deployed a twenty person crew over the weekend to the Kennedy Peak Fire in Virginia. As I write this the Kennedy Peak fire has burned 411 acres in the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests in Page and Shenandoah Counties, near Roanoke, Virginia. It is at twenty percent containment. I understand that the fire grew from a little over 100 acres to 411 acres over the weekend due to high winds. The fire is burning in rugged terrain. The fire was first reported on Thursday afternoon, November 14th. More information about the Kennedy Peak fire may be found on this inciweb page. A news report with a video about the fire may be found at WHSV3.

I am very proud of the NJFFS crew working the Kennedy Peak Fire, you honor New Jersey with your service. Stay safe.

I do not know how long the NJFFS crew will be deployed to the Kennedy Peak Fire. Deployments are usually for a maximum of two weeks.

Screen shot obtained on 11/18/19 from https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6660/#

No comments: