Friday, May 08, 2020

Reflections on the DC-3 (smokejumpers): part 2 of 2

Among the many types of service (see my May 6th article) that you and your military sisters have done is that of a smokejumper aircraft aka a jump ship. I believe that your first service as a jump ship was around the time that World War II ended. The last of your kind to serve as a jump ship in the United States was retired in 2015. That is about 70 years of service. I believe that it was sometime in the very early 1990s that the last two of you owned by the U.S. Forest Service had your round piston engines removed to be converted to a turbo prop along with other renovations. You were then sometimes referred to as a BT-67 after Basler Turbo Conversions, the company that did the conversion.

I wish that I knew how many of your kind flew for the U.S. Forest Service, the Bureau of Land Management or one of their contractors, but I do not. I think that the numbers may not really matter. What matters is that many of you flew smokejumpers. You served long and well, flying what could be tens of thousands of smokejumpers and their cargo to remote wildfires, mostly in the western U.S. and Canada. That is, many remote wildfires that thanks to you and other jump ships smokejumpers could reach the fire in a matter of hours as opposed to what may have been a day long hike in carrying heavy fire gear and rations.

It is my very great loss that I have not gotten to know you better in your service as a jump ship. Nonetheless, I love you and you have a special place in my heart. While other types of jump ships are flying the smokejumpers, you have a special place in my heart. Thank-you for your service.

In this 2005 video below at about 1:45 you will hear smokejumper Skodt Jones talk about the DC-3.


Direct link to video on Youtube


Direct link to video on Youtube

No comments: