Wednesday, May 06, 2020

Reflections on the DC-3 (part 1 of 2)

This is the first of a two part reflection piece about the Douglas DC-3 aircraft. In part 2 to post on May 8th, I will focus on her service as a smokejumping aircraft.

The other day I took a look at the different types of air tankers and Helicopters that I have written about over the past four to five months. I have covered many, but not all, of the current and past air tankers and Helicopters. I was wondering what aircraft involved in wildland firefighting that I could write about next when I thought that I should try to write about some of the current and past smokejumping aircraft. I believe but am not certain that there are at least three smokejumper aircraft currently flying to choose from, the DeHavilland Twin Otter, the the Shorts Sherpa, and the Dornier 228. Rom my reading I heard of one of the variants of the Beech 18. And then there is the Douglas DC-3. I am starting with the Douglas DC-3, I will get to her in a moment. I hope that I will be able to write about the other smokejumping  aircraft in the future I have had some more time to scour the internet for information and to be sure that what I write will not be incorrect.

Before I get to the DC-3's service as a smokejumper aircraft, I want to pause and acknowledge that the DC-3 is among my favorite airplanes. I have seen her or her military cousins hanging on display in museums. but never up close and personal. Her military versions, the U.S. Army C-47, the U.S. Navy R4D, and the British Royal Air Force Dakota saw service as a military transport during and after World War II. Her civilian version, the DC-3 carried passengers on commercial flights (see this article from the Smithsonian Magazine).

Here are some articles that I wrote where you may learn a little more about the DC-3:
I close with some videos about the DC-3/C-47.


The Douglas C-47 Military Transport from SleepingDogTV on Vimeo.


Direct link to video from the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum on Youtube 


Direct link to video from the Smithsonian Channel on Youtube






No comments: