Friday, December 04, 2020

2020 wildfire season: NWS Incident Meterologist deployed to Burn Fire (Orange County CA)

While areas burned earlier in the western U.S. may be beginning post fire rehabilitation and recovery, with the recent Santa Ana winds and Red Flag Warnings in California, I wondered if any wildfires would crop up. I heard about the Bond Fire in Orange County, CA yesterday, perhaps through the news feed on my devices or on social media. The fire started late the night of December 2nd from a house fire. I read Bill Gabbert's December 3rd coverage of the Bond Fire. Bill's coverage is in line with other reports I read this afternoon: 6,400 acres burned to date. Evacuation orders remain in place as I write this. According to a tweet earlier today from Orange County Fire Authority, there have been 11 aircraft working the fire in support of the wildland firefighters on the ground.

I do check the US National Weather Service IMET Facebook page most days to see about recent deployments and other news from the IMET (Incident Meteorologist) office. When I checked this morning, I was pleased to see that a US National Weather Service Incident Meteorologists from the NWS San Diego Weather Forecast Office was deployed to the Bond Fire the afternoon of December 3rd. 

With critical fire weather still forecast for the Los Angeles area through December 5th and again early next week, I am relieved that an IMET will be working this fire to provide location specific forecasts so that the wildland firefighters and the nearby residents will be safe. IMETS save lives. 




No comments: