Wednesday, December 09, 2020

RIP General Chuck Yeager

General Chuck Yeager died December 6th in Los Angeles California, here is an obit from the New York Times.

I do not recall exactly when I first learned that General Chuck Yeager was the first to break the sound barrier. However, it does seem like I have always known about General Yeager. I first watched the movie, All the Right Stuff where Sam Shepard portrayed General Yeager sometime in the mid to late 1980s on video tape. Sometime early in my interested in aviation and early one writing this blog on aerial wildland firefighting, I came across General Yeager's autobiography, Yeager, in a now defunct bookstore. I was very eager to read books by or about pilots because it was and still a way that I can fly and learn about flying. So, I bought the book which I enjoyed and have read a couple of times since then. 

I have a tremendous amount of respect for you, General Yeager, and your role in aviation history. Thank-you for all that you did in aviation, for bringing us into the faster than sound era. And you continued in military aviation for years after you broke the sound barrier. May you always fly in favorable winds.

Here are two short videos honoring General Yeager that I think honors him and his role in aviation history.


Direct link to video from that National Museum of the U.S. Air Force Museum


Direct link to video from CBC

No comments: