Wednesday, January 27, 2021

2021 wildfire season: Argentina, Patagonia Mountains (El Bolson)

I have recently been reflecting on the knowledge that in the southern hemisphere it is high summer and with that wildfire season. I immediately turned to Mike Archer's wonderful five day a week e-mail newsletter, Wildfire News of the Day,  if you are so inclined, and I would recommend subscribing, you may go here to subscribe. Mike includes international wildfire news, so I have easy access to some media reports. I have been thinking about South America, so this seemed like a good place to start. Just today, he reported on a large fire that soon burned approximately10,000 hectares (27,415 acres) near the town of El Bolson in the Patagonia Mountains was apparently started by accident as a result of an outdoor neighborhood barbecue on Sunday, January 24th. According the article (in Spanish) included in today's Wildfire News of the Day, Clarin (January 27th), this is the largest wildfire of record in the region. Note that I do not speak Spanish, so I rely on Google Translate for a Spanish to English translation. I found a short video which, according to the about page, seems to be footage of this fire near El Bolson. The video below appears to be from a media outlet, El Trece, in Argentina. While the video is in spanish, there is good fire footage so I thought it would be a good video to share with you. At about 1 minute 40 seconds you will see what appears to be an Air Tractor SEAT making a drop.

Direct link to video on Youtube (January 26th) from El Trece

No comments: