Monday, June 21, 2021

Wish Desiree Horton the best after filing a gender discrimination lawsuit

 I know enough to know that even with the strides made for women in aviation, that female pilots in commercial aviation, the military, news helicopters, wildland firefighting, etc. are still outnumbered by men. I am glad for the strides made by women in recent years. While I have come to accept, albeit sadly, that I will never be a licensed pilot and unable to pilot a general aviation aircraft, I am supportive of women and girls in aviation.


I was fairly early in writing this blog on aerial wildland firefighting when a friend told me about Desiree Horton who at that time was flying a helicopter for one of the TV News stations in Los Angeles. I learned a few years later that she flew a helicopter for CAL FIRE and most recently for the Orange County Fire Authority. I understand that she has flown helicopters for over thirty years, While I do not know nor have I every corresponded with Desiree, I have always had a great deal of respect for her. I do not think that she is or was the only women who flew as a pilot or co-pilot of aircraft used to fight wildfires. By saying that her name has always stayed with me means no disrespect for any women who may currently be flying as a pilot or co-pilot in the wildland firefighting business. 


About 10 days ago, I read in Bill Gabbert’s Fire Aviation site that Desiree had been fired from the Orange County Fire Authority before her probationary period was up and she has filed a discrimination lawsuit. I have also seen this reported elsewhere on various southern California media, see for example this report from ABC7 in Los Angeles, California. 


Desiree, I am here, not to report on your gender discrimination lawsuit, I will let others that I have already mentioned in the preceding paragraph do that. Desiree, I am here to offer you my heartfelt support in her lawsuit. I hope that the outcome, whatever that may be, is what you want and is fair. I have heard you say in media clips that you want your job back, I hope that you get your wish. In the meantime, I wish you the best, Desiree, as you pursue other endeavors, hopefully this includes doing what you love, flying helicopters. 

No comments: