Friday, July 02, 2021

2021 wildfire season: devastating wildfires hit Lytton, British Columbia

Like many of you, I had been hearing about the small town of Lytton in British Columbia, Canada for the last few days as its high temperatures gave this town the dubious honor of being the hotspot in North America. When I checked the newsfeed on my iPad this morning I saw an article reporting on wildfires that had destroyed most of the buildings in this small town. In reporting on these wildfires that hit Lytton, NPR reported a high temperature of 121F on June 29th, a day later the wildfires hit Lytton with all or most of the residents evacuating the evening of June 30th. Officials are still investigating these wildfires. IN addition to NPR, among the many media outlets reporting on the wildfires that hit Lytton are The Washington Post, and The Guardian. My heart goes out to the people of Lytton. As I write this, I am reminded that there may be more  Lytton's this wildfire season, just as there were towns severely impacted by other wildfires in recent years.


Direct link to video July 1st video report from CBC News

No comments: